Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sunday Snapshot - from the garden

A few years ago, I picked up a few dahlia tubers for my garden. I thought I'd attempt overwintering them in the refrigerator. Turns out, it worked! Well, mostly anyway. I had about an 80% survival rate. But since one tuber in the spring makes many tubers in the fall I always end up with more than I had the previous year.

Of course I still have to buy some new ones every year because the catalog comes in the middle of winter, when the whole world is white and brown and cold. It's all bright and shiny and flowery. sigh. This year I picked up a few new varieties and they are just now coming into full bloom.

Tomorrow is the last day of the Minnesota State Fair. I'm contemplating going one more time because the Dahlia Society has their show in the horticulture building. While I'm not up to showing these beauties, I have in the past and have one little ribbon to show for it. These people are *serious* about their dahlias and I'm just not. But it would be fun to see the show! If only I could helicopter in and not deal with parking or riding the bus or whatever painful combination of both gets me to the door.

Anyway, here's what's blooming in my garden this week...



Check out the other snapshots over at Ni Hao Y'all...


Ni Hao Y'all

2 comments:

  1. Pretty! I wish we had flowers like that in our yard that we could bring in our house for the cats to tip over and then eat. Hmm. Maybe I should enjoy the pictures! ;-) We missed you at the picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my... GORGEOUS! Really lovely! How nice to be able to display them all over your house :)

    ReplyDelete